Following last year’s sold-out success the Big Session is back in Buxton, now over three nights and two days, 29th April to 1st May 2016!
Hosted by Oysterband, the cream of English folk gather in the handsome spa town of Buxton in the heart of the glorious Peak District to welcome in May. The festival features concerts by Oysterband with June Tabor and Sam Carter, Seth Lakeman supported by Lucy Ward, Edward II, Will Pound and Eddy Jay, and the Emily Portman Trio. There’ll also be a huge beer hall hosting a festival of more than 100 real ales and providing the setting for the Big Session Ceilidh with the Oysterband and guests, and music sessions throughout the weekend led by Big Session concert artists and other special guests.
Set right in the heart of Buxton at the spectacular Opera House, the Pavilion Arts Centre and beautiful Pavilion Gardens, a short walk from the railway station: we welcome you to the first festival of the summer!
High Peak is a great area to explore, and fringe activities include a Saturday morning birding bus trip and walk through the upper Goyt Valley to look for Pied Flycatchers, ending in a pub lunchtime music session with an Irish flavour, led by flautist Terry Clarke-Coyne; whilst the 11.49 from Manchester Piccadilly calling all stations to Buxton on the same day will be a dedicated Folk Train with music all the way, arriving in time for the afternoon session in the beer hall. On Sunday morning Oysterband’s John Jones leads the festival ramble and his Reluctant Ramblers in the hills around the town. Further fringe activities will be announced.
Musicians are welcome to join the open sessions: an instrument cloakroom service is provided.
Select from these events:
- Edward II + Gren Bartley Band (Friday 29 April 7.30pm)
- Will Pound and Eddy Jay (Saturday 30 April 5pm)
- Oysterband with guest June Tabor + Sam Carter (Saturday 30 April 7.30pm)
- The Big Session Ceilidh with Oysterband and guests (Sunday 1st May 2pm)
- Emily Portman Trio (Sunday 1 May at 5pm)
- Seth Lakeman + Lucy Ward (Sunday 1 May 7.30pm)
- Beer Festival sessions (Choice of 2 sessions on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday)
- All Fringe activities including the birding trip to the Goyt Valley, and the Festival Ramble led by John Jones of the Oysterband